Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Busy Week

    Hi everyone, glad you’re all enjoying my blog. I’m surprised how many views I’ve gotten. I’ll try to post regularly. Feel free to email or comment if you have any questions or specific things you want me to talk about.
     School has been really busy, I’m on campus from early morning until around 4 or 5 everyday and I usually have a few hours of homework. I have two exams this week and a project that I need to get done before Easter break so I pretty much studied all weekend. I’m also still working on getting an internship for the summer so that’s time consuming. I feel like I shouldn’t be doing so much work since I’m abroad and I should be seeing and doing things, but I do need to get good grades.
    I go out on weekend nights, and am making more African friends. A bunch of my American friends went to Simons Town for the weekend but Alicia (one of my roommates), Alyssa (a very good friend), and I were among the few that stayed behind and we had a nice weekend. Friday night was our friend Charles’ birthday and we saw him out at this bar called Dubliners so that was a fun night. It’s one of my favorite bars and has three bars within it, all with different vibes. Downstairs is a live band in the front and then a more relaxed quieter bar in the back, and upstairs has a dj and is more like a club. The music is great and they play a lot of classics and songs we know. We’re usually right up front by the band and sang into the mic this weekend. I’m a terrible singer so I don’t think everyone in the bar necessarily enjoyed it.
    Yesterday I got a lot of work done, I had about 150 pages to read for my sociology class (which I really don’t enjoy), and so afterwards Alicia, Alyssa, and I went to a mexican restaurant called Fat Cactus. The food was delicious and it had a great atmosphere. It had a bit of an American feel to it and is close to one of the UCT residence halls so it’s very popular with students. Afterwards we went to our friend Athi’s apartment and then went to a local pub where we met up with some of our friends who work at the Cafe I frequent. It was kind of an early night and today I’m back to doing homework. I think a big difference between studying abroad here as opposed to Europe is the amount of school work. It’s actually very real and kind of difficult, we don’t just automatically pass, we have to try and keep up with all the work.
View from campus during the day

View from campus at night
    I do enjoy school though, I’m making lots of South African and Zimbabwean friends. I’m also getting very tan in between classes. Thursdays on campus are a lot of fun, there is a party type thing on the jammie steps and a bar, club, or company sets up a dj stand and plays music and has dancing competitions for bar tabs and other things. It’s pretty popular, the steps get packed with students and it gets us ready for the weekend.
    Everyone keeps saying its going to get cold soon, I’m not sure I believe them. It’s still going to be in the 80’s and 90’s all week. I plan on doing my work while at the pool.
    This friday my roommate Alix’s boyfriend is coming to visit for 10 days, which will be fun. And this weekend we might go a music festival saturday and we're taking a tour of Kirstenbosch botanical gardens on sunday and there is a concert there that night. The band Freshly Ground is playing and they’re really good. They play the song in the video I posted, which is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.
    I have to get back to homework, but feel free to let me know if there’s anything I’m forgetting to talk about. I’d love ideas of blogging topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment