Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Last Week of Classes

As winter is on its way in Cape Town, the semester is winding down and the journey back home is just around the corner. This week is the last week of classes; I can’t even believe it. I’m pretty much done with all my work and tests and now all I have to do is study for final exams and make sure everything on my “To Do In Cape Town” list is crossed off. It’s starting to get a little chilly here and rain more, which sadly means no more beach days. It’s funny because South Africans are all bundled up in Ugg boots, scarves, and wool coats, and I’m still rocking shorts and t-shirts. I mean, the temperature reaches about 70 everyday, which to me is shorts weather. I think everyone else is crazy. It drops a bit at night and a sweatshirt is needed, but that’s okay. Last week I spent all week studying, but after my two tests on Thursday it was an amazing weekend. On Friday Alyssa and I went to Green Point, which is the part of town where the world cup stadium is. She had an interview/meeting with the editor of a magazine dedicated to the Cape Town music scene. Of course the editor loved her and she landed a job AND an internship in Cape Town for the summer. I’ve never been so jealous. She totally deserves it though, she is an incredible writer and has great taste in music, liveinthenownow.tumblr.com. While she had her interview I walked around and got a dress for the dinner we had that night. I found the best little boutique with really cute clothes and great prices. It was the first time I had really gone shopping here. After we met up and walked around and got lunch and drinks and chatted. We then took a minibus to the city centre and walked home, which is about an hours long walk, but it was a beautiful day and we had good conversation so it went by pretty quickly. That night Interstudy had planned a farewell dinner for us at a nice restaurant in Stellenbosch. It was a really nice dinner and then I went to Long Street after to meet up with a few friends. Saturday I had a relaxing day that started at the best place ever, Old Biscuit Mill. Then we walked along Liesbeek River, which is near our flats, and then spent the afternoon bar-hopping and enjoying beers in the sun with my Zimbabwean friends. It was a great day, and ended with a night dancing at a local bar. Sunday I watched the final English Premier League games, which I wasn’t very into, but my friends were which made it fun. It was excited when Manchester City won though, it was an intense game. So it wasn’t an incredibly exciting weekend, but I got to do all of my favorite things in Cape Town.
    Over the next few weeks I’ll have some time off to explore a bit more. There is a small mountain/hill I still want to hike, an astronomical observatory I would like to visit, a walk along the shore I would like to take, and a few other things to knock off the list. I’ll keep you updated as I go.
    I can’t believe that my time here is almost done. Even though I’m looking forward to seeing my family and friends, I’m not quite done with South Africa. I plan on coming back here sometime, hopefully for longer. This is by far the best place I have ever been.

No comments:

Post a Comment