Monday, May 28, 2012

That cliche "I've learned so much" blogpost...

So this will probably be one of my last blog posts. This friday, June 1st, I'll be Boston bound. I have two more exams left, mathematical programming on Wednesday and statistics on Thursday, and then one night to say goodbye to everyone.
I think I've changed a lot here, not that I can really notice it, but I notice that some of my friends here have drastically changed, and so it's likely I have as well. It's been an incredible experience and it has definitely changed my life. Meeting the people I've met, experiencing what I have, seeing all of South Africa, and facing the obstacles along the way have definitely changed my perspective and taught me a lot. My friend said "South Africa has a lot of problems, but it doesn't have apartheid. One thing I've learned since being here is sometime what you don't have is more important than what you do have." I really liked this, not because its 100% true, but because it is a good starting point to explain what it's like to be here. It's not important that you DON'T have the latest gadget, or that you dont have the coolest clothes, so it's not always what you don't have that's more important. It's about appreciating the good things. There is a lot of flaws in the government, and yes, it is a violent country, but it's important to focus on the good things. The economic status of SA is improving and there are less racial barriers. A lot of people are really happy here despite the bad things. It's important to realize all the good things around you. The beautiful landscape, the wonderful weather, the friendly faces, the divine food, and the opportunities given to us. It's important to want to change the unfortunate things, and very important to take action to change things, but if you dwell on it, it wont help anything.
One huge thing I've realized since being here is how freaking incredible my life is. I mean really, I dont mean to sound like I'm all high and mighty, but I have the best family in the entire world, better friends than I could ever imagine (shout out to my bids, even though I know you dont read this), and as much as I complain about UVM, it's a great place to be. I love South Africa, it will always hold a special place in my heart, and I do want to come back here, but I seriously cannot wait to be reunited with everyone back home.  So that's about it, I've gotta get back to studying. I'll probably write a long post on my way home. Thanks for reading, and for everyone back home, I'll see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment