Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Brief update:


Today we basically had a bunch of orientation, which was pretty boring. A lot of travel companies came to talk to us about safari’s and other adventures and tours. They are incredibly cheap, but I want to do everything! I’ll make a plan soon for my traveling.
We had a big traditional dinner tonight. They serve A LOT of meat. They are experts at barbeque, but they call it braai. Technically I haven’t had a real braai, its a big event that is centered around drinking and cooking mass quantities of delicious meat. They cook everything-ostrich, chicken, bison, cow, and probably other things I haven’t even seen yet. Fish is also really popular, and so far has been delicious.
Tomorrow we’re going to Lanka, a township nearby, and to Robben Island. Lanka is an impoverished village of tin houses, but I’m going with a tour group so it’s safe. They allow tours because it brings in jobs and the children love Americans. Robben Island is historically significant since Nelson Mandela was held there in prison for almost 30 years ( I believe). I’ll post pictures and blog after.

Yesterday was my first day off, we went to a shopping mall in the morning and the beach afterwards. To get to the shopping mall we took a minibus which is almost like a taxi. They are minivans that drive down the road and yell where they are going out the window. If someone needs a ride they pull over and pick them up. They squeeze atleast 10 people in them, but are a popular means of transportation, safe during the day, and cheap. It’s 6.5 Rand to get a few towns over, which is less than a dollar.

We took a train to get to the beach. I went with a few kids who had been here for a week, and they had met a boy from Zimbabwe who know how to get around and where things are. The train is very close to my apartment, and was fast and inexpensive. It was very interesting though. A homeless man knew we were American and gave one of the kids a book on Cape Town since he loves our country so much. He then proceeded to sing and dance American songs for the entire train ride. He even did gymnastics from the bars hanging from the ceiling. It wasn’t for money, I think he just really liked Americans. The beach was amazing though. It was Muizenberg Beach, and is basically full of hippies and surfers. A lot of people just came up to talk to us and were really friendly. The beach was beautiful and surrounded by mountains on three sides. I have never seen anything like it.

Okay well thats my update, I never thought I would blog this much but I really enjoy it. Internet costs money and is slow, but there is a place down the street where 100 MB are free so when I go there I’ll upload pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment