Sunday, January 22, 2012

Made it to Cape Town!

I finally made it to Cape Town! This city is beautiful, it feels like a tropical island, and has the backdrop of Table Mountain.
It was interesting getting here...first off they lost the luggage in the transfer from Logan to JFK, so that was a bit of a hassle trying to deal with in Johannesburg when we realized it wasn't there. Jo'burg was kind of a strange place. Flying over it you could see the ghetto's and slums, and in the airport people were incredibly pushy trying to grab our bags and boarding passes and heckling us for money. We made it to the gate safe though. Cape Town was much different. Everyone is incredibly friendly and the city is amazing. All the houses are so colorful, especially in some the suburbs we drove through. One house will be painted 4 different colors, and not just light colors, but bright blues and greens and pinks. It was kind of funny to see, there was just a line right down the middle, not even on a corner.My apartment is much more than I expected. It's larger than my apt in Vermont and came fully furnished. They even bought some basic groceries for us. The program is pretty personal, I think there will only be about 40 of us and I already met about 5 or 6 leaders/RA's/mentors, not really sure of the difference yet. They are really into their jobs and seem to be looking forward to showing us around the city. They gave us cell phones today, which im pretty sure were the first phones invented. I might get a bit of a nicer phone just so its easier to use.
My roommates are really sweet. Alicia goes to Bates and Alix goes to Tufts.
Alicia, Me, and Alix



We all went out to dinner tonight with some other kids from the program. The food was pretty good but it took a few hours. I also had my first legal drink!! It was called a Caipiranho or something. It was kind of lemony and sweet.
I have an orientation in the next few days so I'll keep you guys posted and probably have some pictures.





No comments:

Post a Comment