Sunday, January 22, 2012

On the way

Written from the plane:

So I’ve finally begun my journey. I am currently about halfway across the Atlantic Ocean headed toward Johannesburg. After (over)packing for days, googling everything possible about South Africa, and about four months of waiting, I boarded the plane just in time, around 7:20 this morning. It was the first time I really felt nervous, but I still just as excited. I will miss my friends and family back home, but I know that this semester will be the time of my life.
    When I got on the plane from Boston to New York, I immediately recognized another student, Emily, who I knew was on all the same flights as me. Once we landed in New York we made our way across the airport to the international terminal. I’m glad there was two of us--JFK is an enormous airport. There are many more students on this flight, all just as excited as I am. When we get there we are supposed to stay awake until a normal sleeping hour. I’m not sure how that will work out. I will arrive a little after 1 PM, South Africa time, which is about 7 AM EST. Thats pretty much a full 24 hours of flying. The flight is comfortable though, so hopefully I’ll end up getting some sleep. The flights not booked, so I have an empty seat to spread out on, and I was pleasantly surprised by the food. Airplane food never tends to be good, but it was actually pretty decent.
    I’m sure everyone could do without the airport story, but I have to start the story somewhere. I still have about 10.5 hours left in this flight, and then another short one. I’ll keep everyone posted when I arrive in Cape Town.
Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment